Saturday, May 15, 2010

Beautiful Blue Robin Eggs



The other day Dan the Man went to put the loader on his tractor and found this beautiful Robin's nest with three eggs in it. The Robin had built the nest right on top of one of the lift cylinders of the loader. It was built beautifully and Dan the Man was deeply saddened that the Robin had chosen such a foolish place to build their home and lay their eggs. Not knowing what else to do with the nest, Dan the Man carefully removed it and placed it on the next piece of machinery in hopes that the Robin would come back.

We watched the nest for several days and never saw the Robin near it. I finally decided to claim it and use it for a photography subject and will also use it as a decoration in my home. There were only two eggs in it. I wonder what happened to the third egg? I looked all over on the ground for it or any signs of it, but didn't see any.









Isn't this picture cool? I absolutely love it!






Poor, poor Robin. I feel so terrible about the whole situation. I am so saddened that since we had to disturb the nest, that the nest and little eggs were abandoned. I would have left it alone if I thought that the Robin would claim it once again, but I really don't think there was much chance for that. Too bad the Robin that made this nest didn't read this poem!


What Robin Told

by George Cooper

How do robins build their nests?
Robin Redbreast told me
First a wisp of yellow hay
In a pretty round they lay;
Then some shreds of downy floss,
Feather, too, and bits of moss,
Woven with a sweet, sweet song,
This way, that way, and across;
That's what Robin told me.

Where do robins hide their nests?
Robin Redbreast told me
Up among the leaves so deep,
Where the sunbeams rarely creep,
Long before the winds are cold,
Long before the leaves are gold,
Bright-eyed stars will peep and see
Baby robins--one, two, three;
That's what Robin told me.


I love this shot too!





Then Camille had to come check out the photo shoot!


"What do we have here?"


"Can I smell it?"


"Very interesting! Are they alive?"


"They smell delicious."


"Why aren't they moving?"


Little Robin Red breast sat upon a tree,
Up went pussy cat and down went he;
Down came pussy, and away Robin ran;
Says little Robin Red breast, "Catch me if you can".
Little Robin Red breast jumped upon a wall,
Pussy cat jumped after him and almost got a fall;
Little Robin chirped and sang, and what did pussy say?
Pussy cat said, "Meeow!" and Robin jumped away.


"Camille, don't touch!!" says the Country Chicken Girl.


"I won't touch, I just want to smell them again! I promise they will still be there after I get done smelling them one last time."


The End



PS I think I might make blank note cards from some of these photos. I'm thinking of doing a set with four of the pictures. I'll let you know. They will be for sale in my Ebay store.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You could make a children's book from these photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I got home this spring, the nest Mrs. robin built last summer on our porch had fallen onto the bench. Bob had hoped she would use it again this year but so far I haven't seen any action. I guess the porch is too busy for her now that we are home.

    ReplyDelete