Monday, April 4, 2011

Oh Say Can You See?



The flag at Perkins in Scottsbluff is magnificent! Truly breathtaking. I took these pictures on Saturday, April 2nd, after the Scottsbluff Winter Farmers Market. Perkins is right next to the Hampton Inn, where we have the winter market. The wind was blowing perfectly to hold the flag out in all its glory.

I was thinking this morning that I wanted to put the pictures of the flag on the blog, but wanted to know more about the flag itself. So of course I googled "how big is the perkins flag?" I only found a few results which only heightened my curiosity as to how big that flag is.

So I called the restaurant and asked for the manager, who was not in yet. They said to call back around 8 am so I am writing some of this now, while I am waiting for 8 am to roll around.

I hope they have the answers to my questions, because I would really like to know the following:

  • How big is the flag?
  • How much does a flag that size cost?
  • How often do you replace it?
  • How many people does it take to lower and raise the flag?



Look how big the flag is in comparison
with the vehicle in the parking lot.



I especially love it when the fly the flag at half mast.
That is really a sight to behold.
Flying at half mast, it appears that much larger.



Waiting, waiting, waiting until 8 am.

I just took a drink of my coffee and missed the majority of my mouth causing coffee to dribble on my beautiful mint green fluffy robe. Oh dear, I hope it doesn't stain!

Wow, this is going to be a long 20 minutes.

Oh, hey, look at this picture I have, speaking of big flags!


This is the home of Paul Christian in Mitchell, NE (my hometown).
The house is located right on Broadway which is also HWY 26,
the main road that goes through town.
I took this picture in 2009.
They put up this flag for every 4th of July.
I love it. I wonder what the story behind this flag is?


Okay so I just got done talking to Luke Hale, one of the assistant managers at Perkins and this is what he told me.
  • How big is the flag? 25' x 30'
  • How much does a flag that size cost? around $500
  • How often do you replace it? maybe once a year
  • How many people does it take to lower and raise the flag? two or three depending on how windy it is.

Luke told me that there is a seamstress in town that repairs the flag on a regular basis and that is why they don't have to replace it more often. Luke didn't know who she was. Anybody out there know who this Betsy Ross of Scottsbluff is? Can you imagine sewing that?

Well, now I know. I guess I can go on with my day now.

The End

1 comment:

  1. Now I HAVE to go take a picture of "The Flag" on I-80 in Elko! It is another huge one and it flies all the time, I think (24/7). I believe they have to replace it about every 3 to 4 months--have to check on that. The wind does blow here and I have seen it looking a little tattered from time to time. They even named a middle school after it. It used to be Elko Jr. High but now it is Flagview. Maybe I can even take a picture of it--but not off the highway! A new adventure for JJ and I to do on her vacation.

    ReplyDelete