Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Spider, an Update!

There sure was a lot of interest in my last post, Wow, That's a BIG Spider! So I thought I'd post an update on Mr. Spider, or maybe it's Ms. Spider! Maybe there will be several more of these spider running around in the near future. I won't mind as long as they stay out of my bed and my irrigation boots which I keep outside near the spider. I now shake each boot for several seconds before I stick my foot in each one! LOL

After my "photo session" last week with the spider, I wanted to show it to Peggy, my neighbor, but it was nowhere to be found. I looked all around the chair where I had found it and couldn't find it. A couple of days later I noticed a new spider web on this old dresser I have sitting outside on the porch and upon further investigation I found the spider. Well, I'm 99% sure that this is the same spider. But guess what? It is now a different color! Yes, that's right, I think these spiders can change their color to camouflage themselves to their surroundings.

Remember what he looked like against the chair? He looked almost like the chair, the exact same colors!


Don't forget that if you want to see a full size view of the picture
click on it and hit your browser's back button to return to the blog!





Well, look now.







Freaky, huh! I added most all of the comments that were left on Facebook concerning the first post, so you might want to go back and read them if you're interested or bored. After several people putting their two cents worth of spider knowledge, I have come to the conclusion that this is a Garden Orb-Weaving Spider. Someone posted this link SPIDER IDENTIFICATION CHART so that's where I went. The info on this spider says "the bite of Orb-Weaving Spiders is of low risk (not toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. Seldom bite. Be careful not to walk into their webs at night - the fright of this spider crawling over one's face can be terrifying and may cause a heart attack, particularly to the susceptible over 40 year olds." It also says, "often found in summer in garden areas around the home - they spin a large circular web of 6 feet or more, often between buildings and shrubs, to snare flying insects, such as, flies and mosquitoes." My spider definitely does not have a 6 foot web! Ewww, can you imagine walking into a web that big in the day time or at night.

Yuck, I'm giving myself the Hebe-gebes so I'm going to stop now. Oh... and aren't you glad you are not that grasshopper it has wrapped up for dinner?

Oh and PS... maybe we should have a "name that spider" contest, so leave your suggestions in the comments!

That's it. Goodbye.


3 comments:

  1. Or Charlie if we decide it's a boy. Or maybe something generic and unisex-- Hairy. Yes, it could be short for Harriet or Harold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about a name yet, but damn that's a cool ass spider!

    ReplyDelete