Monday, January 31, 2011

Skipper's Cupboard



I am so pleased to announce the non-profit which will be featured at the Scottsbluff Winter Farmers Market on Saturday, February 5th at the Hampton Inn Conference Center from 1-4 pm.

SKIPPER'S CUPBOARD, INC

Skipper's Cupboard is a non-profit organization located in Scottsbluff, but serves a wide area of the Panhandle. The organization is available to help responsible pet owners who struggle to supply their animal companions with food because they may have fallen on hard times or financial struggles due to various reasons. According to the website, Steve and Becky Morgheim, the founders of the organization "envision a time in Scotts Bluff (NE) and its surrounding counties when no pet owner will be forced to abandon, neglect, or abuse a cherished companion for lack of animal food resources."

Skipper's Cupboard will have an informational booth at the winter farmers market and Snickers, the organization's mascot will also be present! The market will be collecting donations of dry dog and cat food, kitty litter and cash for Skipper's Cupboard. Anyone who donates to the non-profit will get their name entered into a drawing for a gift basket full of goodies that have been donated by the market vendors.

I love Skipper's Cupboard's mission statement:

"Our mission is to insure that lack of access to animal food resources never breaks the bond between responsible pet owners and their animal companions."

Steve, Becky and of course Snickers will also have their book titled "The Soap Box Beagle" for sale at the winter market. All proceeds from the book go straight to Skipper's Cupboard. Their website explains more about the book:

"Stories and art can transform hearts, change opinions, motivate hands, and open wallets in order to make the world a better place and put a smile on God’ face.

And those are the goals of The Soap Box Beagle, a children’s story written by the founders, of Skipper's Cupboard. Its pages tell a whimsical story that blends fact and fiction to commemorate bygone summers along America's legendary Oregon Trail when industrious young dreamers piloted their gravity-fueled racers down the roadway at Scotts Bluff National Monument.

Its appendix includes the winners of the derby races as well as a short history of the racing competition that will rekindle memories of the excitement and spirit that the derby races brought to the Valley during times of economic hardship and global conflict. And actual photos of those races are sprinkled throughout the book."


Katie Bradshaw of the Star-Herald wrote a great story last November about Skipper's Cupboard. It was her story that introduced me to the non-profit. Thanks Katie!! You can read Katie's story by clicking the link below.

Charity Helps Feed Pets When Owners Fall On Hard Times

Anyone who knows me, knows I love animals. My cats are such a big part of me. I miss them when we go on trips and I know that if I ever had to spend some time in the hospital, I would make Dan the Man smuggle one or two in to see me! I can't imagine ever falling on such hard times that I would have to give up my cats because I could not afford to feed them. They are a part of my family, not mere possessions that I could abandon, willingly or not.

Snickers can't wait to meet you!


I truly hope that you will come to the market on Saturday and help to support this worthy non-profit! I am sure that Snickers would really like to meet you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment