Wednesday, October 28, 2009

2 Chickens = 14 Cups of Meat!


Today has been cold and miserable so I decided to do some extra cooking. Our kids even had a snow day and didn't have school today. Bridgette went out with me this morning to do some of the chores. By the expression on her face, I don't think she was enjoying the snow very much. If you click on the picture you will get a full screen view of the photo. Just remember to click the back arrow on your browser to get back to the blog.


I just got done cooking two of our chickens and ended up with a little over 14 cups of chicken meat for casseroles and such! Hard to believe, huh!? But I kid you not. I cooked two of my big chickens, 7 lbs. each in my big canning pot on top of the stove. Just filled the pot with the chickens, enough water to cover the chickens, a little salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder for flavoring, brought the pot to a boil, turned it down to a simmer, covered with the lid and cooked for a couple of hours. When the meat started falling off the bone, I took the chickens out of the water and put them a large roasting pan to cool.

When they were cool enough to handle, I pulled all the meat from the bones. I then bagged the chicken meat into quart freezer bags measuring out two cups of meat for each bag. I had seven bags with about a cup of meat left over. I then took the bags and froze them so I'd have cut up chicken meat ready for casseroles or what ever I need it for. I have enough chicken ready for at least 7 meals. This has been a huge time-saver for me and I do it all the time. When I use the last bag in the freezer I cook up two more chickens. I also have close to 16 cups of chicken broth.

I'll post the recipe to one my family's favorite casseroles tomorrow. It is called Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole. YUM!!

NOTICE: If you have tried to leave comments in the past but couldn't because you didn't have an account and didn't want to create one, you can now leave comments with out an account! Please leave a comment so I know you were here! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I thought Wisconsin was supposed to have the early snow! You can keep it! I love your blogs!!!!!!!!!
    I am leaving this as an anonymous since I don't have an account.
    Love,
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I didn't work hard enough today as I am having trouble getting to sleep. Enjoy your blog and love your chickens and recipes. Looking forward to your new recipe tomorrow.

    Vonda

    ReplyDelete