Monday, October 12, 2009

Birthday and RECIPE: Apple-Cranberry Crumble

Well, today was my 44th birthday. We actually were suppose to start processing our last batch of chickens (200 of them) today, but because of the weather, that chore is being delayed. Hopefully we can get started tomorrow. Guess the Lord took pity on me today! Who in their right mind wants to process chickens on their birthday?

Danny's parents, who are here to help us process the chickens, took us out for lunch to the Wonderful House. I seldom look at the menu when we go there because I always get the General Chicken. As always, it was so delicious!

Penny made cabbage burgers for dinner and I found this recipe in the October 2009 issue of Martha Stewart Living and we made it for my birthday dessert.


APPLE-CRANBERRY CRUMBLE

1 1/2 lbs apples (about 3 medium), peeled and cored
1/2 cups fresh or frozen (unthawed cranberries, coarsely chopped)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Coarse salt
4 Tsp (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for dish
1/2 cup pecan halves (2 ounces), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
3 Tsp packed light-brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Quarter apples lengthwise, then thinly slice. Toss in a large bowl with cranberries, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt until evenly coated.
2. Butter an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. Mix pecans, flour, oats, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl until combined. Work in butter with your fingertips until topping is crumbly, with pea-size chunks.
3. Spread apple mixture in prepared dish; sprinkle with topping. Bake until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.


This was delish!! I also loved that it didn't make a huge dessert, just the right amount for four to five people. That way, I don't end up eating more than I need.

On a sadder note, as I am writing this post, one of our mother cows is mooing, morning the loss of her baby. Danny found the calf in the corral this morning. We aren't sure what happened to it. It never showed signs of being sick. This is one of the hardest things I am finding about ranching. I hate it when we lose an animal. It is getting easier, but it is still painful when it appears to happen for reasons we are not sure about. I always feel like there must have been something we could have done, but sometimes a sick animal is hard to diagnose if they don't show any symptoms of being sick.

I feel for the mother. Her moo is so sad. I am sure her utters are full and hurt. Any mother who has nursed a baby knows this. Men just don't get it! Hopefully she will settle down or we will hear her mooing all night long. Actually, when we wean the calves, which will be soon, we will have several nights of mothers and calves mooing all night long.

Well, we'll see what the good Lord has planned for us tomorrow. Hopefully we can process chickens.

Let me know if you try the dessert and what you think of the recipe!

4 comments:

  1. yum yum! I liked it. It's very pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a nice birthday! Now I know how much older I am than you.
    Love your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, now I think I can post my name. LOL
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope to try the recipe soon sounds great, love your blog brings back many memories of the days when I had chores sometimes I miss those days. But in the snow not so much. did you get that cab and heater for your fourwheeler for your B-day hahatell danny if you dont get a cab and heater that he must remove his from his tractor

    ReplyDelete